Psychologists spend their whole day solving people’s problems, some teach in colleges and universities. Some work in research conduct, business, industry, and clinic while some open their private practice setting. Nowadays there are a lot of fields of psychology but we will discuss the common areas of psychology.
What are the branches of Psychology?
These are some common types of Psychology.
- Clinical Psychology
- Counseling Psychology
- Experimental Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Community Psychology
- Environmental Psychology
- Educational Psychology
- Organizational Psychology
- Forensic Psychology
- Personality Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Clinical Psychologist uses Psychotherapies technique and also treat through discussing their problems.
- For being a clinical psychologist you need 3 to 4 years of graduate work with an M.S. in clinical psychology with at least one year of internship in any mental health center.
- Clinical psychologists collect a vast amount of data from the client like Family History, including Educational History, and Childhood History, for diagnosis of the problem.
- Counseling psychology provides guidance for temporary problems like problems in school or difficulty in social skills.
- Counseling psychologists can give talk therapy, they did not give psychotherapy treatment to the patient.
- They help people with physical, emotional, and psychological health issues to improve their lifestyles.
Counseling Psychologists can only give talk therapy and can not give psychotherapies while Clinical psychologists can give psychotherapies to their patients.
- Experimental Psychology is centered on fact-based, scientific research and experimentation.
- It examines the relationship between the human mind and its behavior.
- Experimental Psychology applies experiments with people to check their reactions to the time span, memory span, hunger, thirst, problem in learning, etc.
- Developmental psychology focuses on the environmental and biological factors that contribute to human development.
- Its main focus is on human growth and changes that occur throughout life span like why and how humans change over the journey of their life.
- The developmental psychologist describes the changes that occur in the life of human and try to understand the causes and effects in human life.
- Social psychology is the combination of both psychology and sociology.
- Social Psychology deals with social interaction, relationships, and their effects on the individual and is concerned with human interaction and human relationships in the social world.
- Social Psychology is to understand human behavior in a social context.
- Community Psychology is concerned with person-environment interactions and the way society affects individual and community functioning.
- Community Psychologists have to look at the social environment instead of the individual to diagnose the problem.
Difference between social and community psychology.
Social psychology deals with the effects of social interaction on an individual while Community psychology deals with the social environment instead of an individual.
- Environmental Psychology deals with how the environment affects human behavior.
- They are concerned about how the products of industrial society affect our health not only physically but also psychologically.
- The aim of environmental psychology is to preserve the balance of nature and enables humans and other organisms to continue to flourish.
- It is concerned with children learning and their adaptation to school.
- Educational Psychologists works in school, colleges, and universities, and also do research on learning.
- It depends heavily on the principles of learning.
- Organizational Psychology centers on the workplace for the workers and the employees that work there.
- It examines the social and group influences of the organization.
- Forensic psychology is the field in which psychological ideas apply to the legal system.
- Forensic psychologists are hired by the team to provide information about the case.
- Criminological Psychology is also enriched in understanding crime and criminal behaviors and attitudes.
- Personality Psychology focuses on the characteristics and traits of an individual.
- It studies traits like aggression, self-concept, the inner and outer self of humans, happiness, positive and negative thought, and feelings.
- Personality psychology basically studies an individual’s thoughts, behaviors, and attitudes toward different things.
- Health psychology as its named showed deals with human health problems.
- It studies stress, depression, anxiety, its roles, and how to cope with it.
- Health psychologists work in mental health centers.
We hope that this article will be useful for you in understanding the branches of psychology. For reading more articles visit worldontip.com. Follow us on Facebook. Leave a comment if you like this. Click on the search bar to search our articles.